I hope it was a wonderful summer for everyone! It was a good one here. I learned to make herb infused oils with NP and budding herbalist Carolyn Bernstein; we had a great crop of pears (tho’ someone – my friendly backyard rodents, I suspect – has been munching heavily on the tomatoes and figs); I attended several women’s health fairs; did a guest breast cancer seminar for Hawthorne University and spent two weeks on the East Coast, giving talks and doing book signings (courtesy of colleagues Deanna Gould, Susan Buckler and Hope Nemiroff). . In addition, I’ve been enjoying collaborating with Ann Fonfa in helping to organize the Annie Appleseed Conference, coming for the first time to San Francisco in just a few weeks, Sept. 14-15. More on that below.
DID YOU KNOW?
Nigella Sativa (Black Seed Oil)- is now being viewed by many oncologists as serious herbal remedy to assist in the treatment of cancer. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has granted 2 patents that involve Nigella Sativa oil for treating cancer, preventing the side effects of anti cancer chemotherapy, and for increasing the immune system functions in humans. U.S. Pat. No. 5,482,711 and 5,653,981. More at http://cancercompass.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/anti-cancer/
Rosemary/carnosic acid potently inhibits proliferation of ER-negative human breast cancer cells and induces G1 cell cycle arrest. Further, carnosic acid is selective for MCF7 cells transfected for Her2, indicating that Her2 may function in its action. Translation: Rosemary/carnosic acid, may be useful to prevent and treat ER-negative breast cancer. Not only that, rosemary has been shown to help both short and long term memory, or as Shakespeare would say, it’s the “herb of remembrance.”
• Our next Dietary Essentials for Breast Cancer workshop will be held at the offices of Bay Area Breast Surgeons on Wednesday, August 29, 12-2 p.m. Cost is $49 There is limited space at this one, so sign up asap by contacting me, 510 479 8876 or via email to let me know you’d like to attend. This workshop is held every month at Bay Area Breast surgeons in Oakland, so if you can’t make it this month, keep in touch, and we’ll let you know when the next one comes up.
• Those at a distance can still take advantage of the Dietary Essentials workshop by participating via the Web. If this sounds like you, please drop me a note and I’ll put you on the class “wait” list. As soon as we have a critical mass to make it a “go”, we’ll get the next one on the schedule. Cost is $39 for our 90 minute session.
• Ann Fonfa is a longtime advocate for cancer patients and a long time breast cancer survivor herself. The conference she puts on every year, the Evidence-based Complementary & Alternative Cancer Therapies conference is happening here in the Bay Area, September 14-15, 2012. I’m thrilled to be speaking at this conference along with a great lineup of practitioners, patients and advocates (see http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/index.php/component/content/article/2-uncategorised/17-west-coast-meeting-september-14-15-2012 ). I hope you’ll consider attending, even if you are not involved in the cancer community. It’s enlightening, fun, affordable and the all-organic fare is truly fantastic!
• The Hills Swim and Tennis Club in Oakland is putting on a Women’s Healing Retreat on Saturday, Oct. 27. I’ll be there along with Barbara Hoffer and Therese Burwitz to teach the basics of nutrition and pilates for women struggling with chronic conditions like cancer. For more info, contact Barb at Barb@pinkribbonpilates.com.
• Sat., November 3 is the Breast Cancer Connections Conference. The conference will be all day Saturday, November 3rd at the Oracle Conference Center in Redwood Shores, CA, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m, providing a full day of breast cancer education that is open to the public, but directly targeted at people that have or have had breast cancer, families and concerned community members. Looking forward to being one of the speakers there! For more info, http://bcconnections.org/events/annual-bcc-conference/
SPECIAL OFFERS FOR SEPTEMBER
• Comprehensive Nutritional Consult for breast cancer risk. This is my usual series of consults with those at high risk for breast cancer, those going through treatment, or those who have completed their conventional treatment and want to know “what’s next?” In this series, we look at your dietary habits, nutritional status, glucose, insulin and inflammation markers, hormonal balance, supplement quality and strategies for immune enhancement.
Normal cost for this 4 session package is $500, but for the month of September, I am offering it for $400, PLUS a free copy of my book, THE WHOLE FOOD GUIDE FOR BREAST CANCER (www.wholefoodguideforbreastcancer.com). This makes a fabulous gift for someone you love, and we’ll send you a lovely gift certificate if you would like to use it that way! Please note that these consults can be done in person OR on the phone.
• Referral bonus for existing clients: Refer a new client and take $25 off the cost of your next appointment. Refer two new clients to our practice and receive 50% off your next session. Refer three clients and your next session is FREE. Such a deal! For testimonials from other clients, see our web page at www.turning-the-tables/testimonials (http://www.turning-the-tables.com/?page_id=9)
• Supplements – all you need, all you can use from our premier supplier, Emerson Ecologics. All supplements are now 20% discounted! It’s a great time to stock up on all your family’s needs. Just call Emerson at 1800 654 4432 to set up your own account and mention my name when they ask for the referring practitioner. Then enjoy the hundreds of high quality brands they offer at your special reduced price.
As a reminder, please LIKE us (wholefoodguideforbreastcancer) on Facebook and visit our websites (www.wholefoodguideforbreastcancer and/or www.turning-the-tables.com). And remember, we are still here to help with weight, blood sugar, inflammation and digestive issue in addition to cancer, and to help you sort through the confusing array of nutritional advice that bombards us all through the media. Don’t hesitate to call or write if I can be of help to you!
ONE MORE THING
We’re still offering a free chapter download from the wholefoodguideforbreastcancer website. If you have a friend who might benefit from this “nutrient’rich” book, send her/him to the site for a test drive. There’s nothing to lose and everything to gain!
Till next time,